Let’s talk about menstruation which is one of my favorite topic when it comes to reproductive health and today i am going to share my review on tampons because i know most of my girlies want to know about the tea like is it safe ? Can we all wear them ? Does it hurt ? WELL WELL today i am sharing with you my experience with tampons and at the end of this blog you will either get yourself one or maybe not so let’s jump right into it.
For a little background I have been a pad baddie since the moment I started menstruating because it was the only trending thing on the market back then, yes tampons were there but it wasn’t popular especially here in Rwanda nobody talked openly about using a tampon and there were speculation that it made you loose your virginity, does it ? well keep on reading.
As a 13 years old i didn’t even know what was going on so my mom got me pads and that was it.
Nowadays thanks to social media and amazing organizations that raise awareness about menstruation we know there are so many materials out there like tampons, menstrual cups, menstrual underwear . We have so many information and resources so we are no longer limited to pads only , women can now use any products that they want and we salute each and everyone working behind the scenes to make this happen.
In this blog not only i will share my review on tampons but i will also give you tips and tricks for someone who wants to try them but first check out my other menstrual blogs here:
- How to manage period cramps : 3-easy-ways-to-manage-period-cramps-and-discomfort
- What you need to know about menstrual cycle : everything-you-need-to-know-about-menstrual-cycle-periods-secrets-you-need-to-know
- 3 pages you need to follow for menstrual information: 3-pages-you-need-to-follow-on-instagram-for-menstruation-information
WHAT IS A TAMPON FIRST ?
“A tampon is a menstrual product designed to absorb blood and vaginal secretions by insertion into the vagina during menstruation. Unlike a pad, it is placed internally, inside of the vaginal canal. Once inserted correctly, a tampon is held in place by the vagina and expands as it soaks up menstrual blood”. Wikipediawikipedia
IS IT SAFE ?
According to US FDA ( Food and Drug Administration) :”Before any tampons can be legally sold in the U.S, they must go through the FDA’s review to determine whether they are as safe and effective as (substantially equivalent to) legally marketed tampons.” so this to say you must check if the tampons you are going to use are FDA approved.
I am not going to say they are 100% safe because i am no experts but they are at least 96% safe because before they go on the market they are tested by FDA to make sure that they are made with a bleaching process that is free from elemental chlorine and also by checking that they are free from having dangerous levels of dioxin (a type of pollutant found in the environment that can lead to health issue when accumulated in the body). check this article for more information, click here.
Before you start using a tampon here are some few things you need to know :
- the signs of toxic shock syndrome (TSS) : TSS is a rare and potentially life-threatening illness that is thought to be caused by infection with certain types of bacteria. Women that use tampons are mostly at risk of getting this syndrome. It can happen two ways either the tampons has been left in the vagina for too long and it can cause an over production of the bacteria that can cause TSS or tampons can stick to the vaginal walls, especially when blood flow is light, causing tiny abrasions when they are removed. so you need to watch out for signs like fever, vomiting , diarrhea, joint pain after using a tampon and directly go to the doctors , this is a serious condition.
- Wash your hands before wearing your tampons: it is very crucial to be super clean before using your tampons especially if you are using your hands. There are brands that make tampons and applicators like TAMPAX so if you don’t have an applicator make sure you are super clean before touching the tampon if not there are so many chances to introduce bacteria up there.
- DON’T WEAR IT FOR MORE THAN 8 HOURS : it is not healthy to wear your tampon for more than 8 hours and when it is full it may leak so make sure you watch out for that and for hygiene purpose of course, 4 hours are good for you to change.
- THEY DO NOT BREAK YOUR VIRGINITY : Tampons work just as well for girls who are virgins as they do for girls who have had sex. And even though using a tampon can occasionally cause a girl’s hymen to stretch or tear, it does not cause a girl to lose her virginity. (Only having sex can do that). Source : kidshealth.org
BRANDS I USED
Now let’s get to the real TEA !! Since i started using tampons i tried 2 brands that i knew they were completely safe by first doing my research and reading reviews. I used the brand KOTEX and TAMPAX and here is my honest review for both brands.
This was my first choice cause i have known this brand for a while, they are small easy to carry around and when you wear them they are very comfortable and easy to insert. I never felt any discomfort with them and they are non scented which is very important for your own health. I loved them and for a review it is a 5/5it is affordable, doesn’t fill fast and rarely leak so love it, highly recommend.
This was my second brand to try and to be honest the experience wasn’t smooth like with the first brand. These tampons come with an applicator and i thought it must be much easier but for me it wasn’t , till now i still struggle with the insertion. Another thing i realized is that these tampons fill really fast compared to kotex so chances of you staining your clothes are 60% i don’t know if it’s me but didn’t love them. For the rating i will give them a solid 3/5.
MY FIRST EXPERIENCE
Wow !! to be honest my first time was awkward the whole scenario was awkward but once the tampon was inside it was very comfortable and i had the impression that my cramps also disappeared , if you use tampons is it something that you noticed ? Let me know in the comment section.
Personally i realized that when i am using tampons i feel less pain, i am comfortable in my skin and for once i get to do my things without the consistent reminder of wearing a pad , with tampons it is so peaceful which i love but the downside of it is that you have to stay vigilant it may fill up at any time so make sure you don’t forget to change your tampon regulary.
I really love tampons there are heaven sent but on the other hand they come with a lot of negative luggage , you need to do your research first before you use them, there are so many side effects attached to them like risk of TSS , infection so you have to be careful with this one.
Will i keep using them ? Yes but occasionally , this can’t be my go to menstrual product.
DO I RECOMMEND
For the recommendation it is a 50/50 as long as you do your research first and make sure you are using an approved brand and following the instruction you are good but if you are hesitant stick to what works for you there is no right or wrong menstrual product you do you !!
Those are my insights on tampons, are they worth the hype ? ABSOLUTELY YES !! Share your experience down below and please let me know any topic you want to see on the blog. see you next time xoxo